Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The mouse...


Last night whilst lying in bed reading some awesome blogs on Scientician I caught a slight movement out of the corner of my eye. I turned to see what it was, and there, scuttling under my linen chest, was a mouse! aaaaiiiieeee! I couldn't move. I watched it as it stopped to get a lay of the surroundings. It then continued on into my closet, to settle, for a moment, in my handbag. I was, by this time, quite worried, as in it's little journey it seemed to be making its way slowly round the room towards my bed....and me!!!! eeeeeeek!

I thought I heard it scratching behind the bookcase that was just a few inches from my bed....
"It's getting closer!!! It's coming to get me!!!" , I rather over-dramatically thought. But then all of a sudden I saw it shot out FROM UNDER MY BED (I have no idea how it got there, it was so fast, so stealth....I never saw it coming!!!) and shot back under the bedroom door into the lounge from whence it came. I took this moment to pounce - grabbing some nearby clothes and jamming them under the door to make his re-appearance impossible. Unfortunately, all the excitement really made me want to pee, and 20 minutes later I had to move the clothes to get the door open, risking the return of monsieur mousie and all his accompanying germs and fleas.

When I got back from the scared-of-the-mouse-pee I had no way of knowing if the mouse was there or not, so I brought a little minder to keep me safe - our cat (an expert in the art of stalking) Bling. I sealed the door up again with my jeans (a door snake would have come in so handy right then) and settled Bling on top of the bed. I hopped in too (after first tearing all the bedding off to check for stowaways) and switched off the light - safe in the knowledge that if monsieur mousie moved an inch Bling would hear it and pounce...ah sleep.

A couple of hours later I felt the cat leap off the bed.
"Ahhh, you fought a brave, but ultimately stupid battle monsieur - may your passing be swift, adieu!" ....and I was instantly back asleep.

....A couple more hours later however and the battle appeared to still be going. I turned the light on to see what was happening. Bling had him in her mouth, she opened it and he dropped on the floor. I thought he was dead but then all of a sudden he made a mad dash for the door. Bling lazily swatted him with her paw and he went flying back under a bag of cds. He made another desperate attempt, only to be swatted again. I felt an awful pang of remorse rip through me. This poor little mouse, who probably only wanted to come in to get out of the cold...to warm his little paws on my rug and discarded socks. This mouse who I trapped, like a little monkey in a cage with a lion.....oh the guilt, THE GUILT!
I couldn't go through with the murder. I pulled the jeans out of the way and half opened the door. Monsieur Mouse departed, half mangled but still with enough life left in him to want to keep it! Stupidly the door was also open enough for the cat to get that paw in and wrench it open further. Last I saw was the mouse fleeing to the relative safety of the underneath of the bed. I was satisfied, "There are holes aplenty for the mouse to escape from I'm sure" I thought as I switched off the light, closed my door and went back to bed.

If you like happy endings you may want to just leave it there.

If however you've got to know the truth, the whole truth and nothing but then continue reading.

The following morning the boyfriend was saying he was woken early by the cat playing in HIS room with the poor STILL ALIVE mousie!!! She'd obviously found him again, and unable to come show off to me she'd opted to go upstairs to give her dad a present. He picked up the dishevelled, mostly-dead mouse and put him outside in the garden.

If your heart is starting to tear but you still hold out hope then stop reading now.


Bling wasn't happy with her game being ended. She bolted out the door hot on mousie's heels.
This is the last either of us saw of monsieur mouse.

I feel just awful about this. Have just watched Fievel singing on An American Tale, "Never Say Never" and I'd like to hold out hope that our little monsieur got away from Bling Bling. It is possible - she'd been up all night tormenting him, and her plate of food was just outside where mousie got dumped so she could have been sidetracked just long enough for him to get down into his little mousie burrow.

I shall never trap a mouse in the hope of its being eaten ever again.








0 comments:

Post a Comment